Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My 5 Guys Burgers and Fries Story

A very unique thing happened to me the other day. I would like to take a little time to tell you about it and analyze the experience.

It all started when my wife and son suggested we go out for dinner to an up and coming hamburger chain. This location had just opened and we were happy that it was so close to us. We use to travel a lot further, but now it was practically in our back yard! Oh ecstasy! Thy name is "5 Guys burgers and Fries"!


On entering the establishment we were surprised that though crowded, there was no line to take our order. We stepped right up and placed our order. I ordered a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, fried onions and mushrooms, a very pleasing and substantial sandwich. My wife ordered the same but without mushrooms, and my son, lacking imagination, ordered a burger with LTM.

When my number was called and I got the order, I started to pull the sandwiches from the bag and much to my surprise my sandwich was smaller than the rest. I'm not talking a little bit now. I'm talking a full inch shorter and about half the weight of my wife's burger.

I opened the wrapping and there seemed to be something missing. The condiments were right. There was lettuce, tomato, mayo, onions, and mushrooms. Aah the missing element! The cheeseburger! I began to laugh out loud. (LOL for you internet junkies!) I just couldn't imagine leaving the burger off of a hamburger sandwich! We all stared in disbelief!

I went up to the counter with my burger and was immediately met by an employee who marveled at my empty roll. I remarked "Shouldn't a hamburger have hamburger on it?" She blankly shook her head yes, apologized, and immediately swung into action. In no time, I had the object of my affection, a delicious juicy cheeseburger just the way I like it!

I tell you this not because 5 Guys Burgers and Fries is so bad, rather that it is so good! Another restaurant would have gotten me so angry, I may not have returned. But 5 Guys does some things so well that you can't help but love them. The food is simple, without strange and exotic menu items. Prices are reasonable, wait times are short, and there are free peanuts! FREE! I have up until this time never had a bad experience! Even now I wouldn't rate the experience bad as much as humorous. In fact, this outing was much more memorable by the event described here.

There are a lot of chains out there that fail, but 5 Guys Burgers and Fries just keeps growing on the support of happy, well-fed customers like me!

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Very nice story ... thanks for sharing it. I've never visited My 5 Guys Burgers..., but I will, soon!